Summer is year-round for all of us Southwest Floridians, so we aren’t going to experience seasonal changes come fall, and most of us don’t feel the need to pack in the last of summer fun! For the rest of the country, summer is known for its abundance of activities before fall makes it crisp arrival. However, for all you fellow residents and visitors alike, following is a list of all those summer-centric things that Collier and Lee counties have to offer, so get out there and enjoy!
Here are some fun things to maximize the end of summer fun:
- Jazz Concert – Naples Jazz Society performs from 1-3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 26, at Norris Community Center. 755 Eighth Ave. S. 263-1113 or www.naplesjazzsociety.com.
- Songwriter Showcase – The Marco Players presents singer/songwriter Joerey Ortiz in concert at 7 p.m. followed by a reception, Q&A and jam session until 10 p.m. Monday, Aug. 28. $30-$35. 1089 N. Collier Blvd. 642-7270 or www.themarcoplayers.com.
- Piano Concert – Pianist Bryan Wallick performs works by Liszt, Bach, Brahms and Albeniz from 6-9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 29, at Shangri-La Springs. 27750 Old 41 Road, Bonita Springs. 646- 734-8179 or www.grandpianoseries.com.
- Turtle Time – Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park presents a talk about sea turtles at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. Free with park admission. 597-6196 or www.floridastateparks.gov.
- Art Celebration – Florida Gulf Coast University hosts an art walk with multiple exhibitions to celebrate the school’s 20th anniversary from 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. Events include a curator’s talk, a reception for the exhibition “20 Years: The Creation of FGCU” and a final reception and performance at the ArtLab Library. 590-7199 or www.artgallery. fgcu.edu.
- Art, Drink and Be Merry – Naples Art Association invites guests to sip wine while instructors help them complete an acrylic painting from 6-9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. $50. 585 Park St. 262- 6517 or www.naplesart.org.
There is also a list of open houses in Southwest Florida this weekend that are a perfect showcase of the luxury real estate market, so contact your John R. Wood Properties agent to schedule an area tour.